Understanding ANOVA Techniques with Excel and Learning to Decipher Variances
BlogDate_4/14/21
Topic: Analysis
of Variance (ANOVA)
As
I progress through the assignments in this class, I have begun to feel a deep
sense of satisfaction and empowerment from the knowledge gained and the
skillsets obtained. Up until I began taking this class, there were certain aspects
of mathematics (statistics in particular) and relative applications in my
professional life with which I was quite familiar but had always felt
intimidated by because I was not leveraging the statistical concept along with
the application to their full potential. Case in point, Microsoft Excel. I have
leveraged the application daily to quantify variances and similarities in
exceptionally large data sets for many years, but while I am sufficiently
comfortable reading, analyzing, and interpreting, I have always felt frustrated
by an inability to manipulate data sets within Excel myself., particularly with
regards to Analysis of Variance (ANOVA). This is a tool I could often leverage
in my professional life but lack the know-how. Additionally, while I was aware
of the immense capabilities the application possessed, I did not have
sufficient training and practice to leverage these capabilities in my work/home
life. However, that completely changed for me after completing the Excel Data
Analysis Tool Pak assignment. Looking over the assignment at first, I was apprehensive,
but after installing the Tool Pak and running through the Laundry list of analysis
tasks, I was elated; not only with being able to perform all the ANOVA
functions within the data tool set, but with the understanding of how each functioned
operated and WHY it was important to the data in question. For example, I never
really understood the difference between a t-test, which observes the sample mean
and ANOVA, which examines the variance (FordHamStats, 2010). Additionally, I
could not explain the significance of each ANOVA function and its
interpretation of the data at hand. I think the most valuable capability Excel
retains is the ability to produce both Descriptive and Inferential statistical
data. Armed with my newly acquired knowledge and confidence, I considered satellites
(a subject of keen interest to me) and the host of data accompanying them.
After some research, I was able to download a data sheet of all satellites by
country via the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) webpage. The file was quite
large, as there was a host of data available, from owner/operator, to apogee, longitude,
perigee, inclination, class of orbit, orbit type, etc. I must confess, I have
never been so excited about observing and manipulating data, but it was meaningful.
Consider that there are well over 3,000 satellites in 4 different orbital
classes spotted about the globe right now (UCS, 2021). What are they doing?
What is the function of each? Which countries have the most? Is the number of
satellites per country skewed, or proportional? The questions were endless for
me. The real difference-maker was the knowledge and ability to perform the functions
which could answer these questions. So, with that, I began experimenting with
different functions, taking my time to understand what the variability between
the different factors indicated. The spreadsheet proved to be an enjoyable wormhole
of data, and I have included it with this post. In retrospect, the concepts,
and skills I have acquired in the past couple weeks relate to the job duties I
perform daily, and that is exciting for me. With regards to the text material,
I think 9.6.1, Simple Linear Regression Analysis tied in with the ANOVA concepts
I learned rather nicely because the scatter plots offer such a quick visual
medium for assessing variability within large data sets like the UCS Satellite
data (Khisty et al., 2012). As I continue forward in this class, I am just
trying to focus on one module at a time, absorbing quality data and pondering
its significance in my life.
|
Perigee
(km) |
3372 |
24543339 |
7278.570285 |
178534742.6 |
||
|
Apogee
(km) |
3372 |
27894247 |
8272.315243 |
304840208.3 |
||
|
Variance of Satellite by Type of Orbit, Longitude, Apogee,
Perigee, |
||||||
|
ANOVA |
||||||
|
Source of Variation |
SS |
df |
MS |
F |
P-value |
F crit |
|
Rows |
1.42838E+12 |
3371 |
423725880.4 |
7.103645997 |
0 |
1.058305 |
|
Columns |
1664973966 |
1 |
1664973966 |
27.91282334 |
1.3496E-07 |
3.844219 |
|
Error |
2.01077E+11 |
3371 |
59649070.44 |
|||
|
Total |
1.63112E+12 |
6743 |
|
|
|
|
(UCS, 2021)
|
Anova: Single Factor |
||||||
|
SUMMARY |
||||||
|
Groups |
Count |
Sum |
Average |
Variance |
||
|
#
Launched |
34 |
3372 |
99.17647059 |
47164.27094 |
||
|
USA |
34 |
1903 |
55.97058824 |
27950.57487 |
||
|
China |
20 |
405 |
20.25 |
541.7763158 |
||
|
Russia |
34 |
174 |
5.117647059 |
43.98573975 |
||
|
United Kingdom |
20 |
166 |
8.3 |
530.6421053 |
||
|
France |
34 |
13 |
0.382352941 |
0.667557932 |
||
|
Spain |
14 |
21 |
1.5 |
1.653846154 |
||
|
Germany |
34 |
40 |
1.176470588 |
4.331550802 |
||
|
Japan |
34 |
89 |
2.617647059 |
14.84937611 |
||
|
Italy |
34 |
13 |
0.382352941 |
0.546345811 |
||
|
Argentina |
34 |
28 |
0.823529412 |
6.08912656 |
||
|
Israel |
34 |
16 |
0.470588235 |
0.983957219 |
||
|
ANOVA |
||||||
|
Source of Variation |
SS |
df |
MS |
F |
P-value |
F crit |
|
Between
Groups |
343596.6676 |
11 |
31236.0607 |
4.34537363 |
4.19E-06 |
1.816209 |
|
Within
Groups |
2501545.332 |
348 |
7188.348656 |
|||
|
Total |
2845142 |
359 |
|
|
|
|
|
(UCS,
2021) |
|
Anova: Two-Factor With Replication |
||||||
|
SUMMARY |
179 |
215 |
1634 |
Total |
||
|
2 |
|
|
|
|
||
|
Count |
11 |
11 |
11 |
33 |
||
|
Sum |
491 |
393 |
3028 |
3912 |
||
|
Average |
44.6364 |
35.72727 |
275.2727 |
118.5455 |
||
|
Variance |
9693.65 |
8061.618 |
472623.8 |
165922.6 |
||
|
Total |
|
|
||||
|
Count |
11 |
11 |
11 |
|||
|
Sum |
491 |
393 |
3028 |
|||
|
Average |
44.6364 |
35.72727 |
275.2727 |
|||
|
Variance |
9693.65 |
8061.618 |
472623.8 |
|||
|
(UCS,
2021) |
||||||
|
ANOVA |
||||||
|
Source of Variation |
SS |
df |
MS |
F |
P-value |
F crit |
|
Sample |
0 |
0 |
65535 |
65535 |
#NUM! |
#NUM! |
|
Columns |
405733 |
2 |
202866.6 |
1.24108 |
0.303491 |
3.31583 |
|
Interaction |
0 |
0 |
65535 |
65535 |
#NUM! |
#NUM! |
|
Within |
4903791 |
30 |
163459.7 |
|||
|
Total |
5309524 |
32 |
|
|
|
|
|
(UCS, 2021) |
||||||
|
Anova: Two-Factor Without
Replication |
||||||
|
Descriptive Data |
||||||
|
SUMMARY |
Count |
Sum |
Average |
Variance |
||
|
USA |
4 |
2058 |
514.5 |
563427 |
||
|
China |
4 |
405 |
101.25 |
19525.58 |
||
|
Russia
|
4 |
174 |
43.5 |
1619.667 |
||
|
UK |
4 |
293 |
73.25 |
3852.25 |
||
|
France |
4 |
20 |
5 |
22 |
||
|
Spain |
4 |
21 |
5.25 |
36.91667 |
||
|
Germany |
4 |
40 |
10 |
349.3333 |
||
|
Italy |
4 |
13 |
3.25 |
27.58333 |
||
|
Japan |
4 |
82 |
20.5 |
620.3333 |
||
|
Argentina |
4 |
28 |
7 |
161.3333 |
||
|
Israel |
4 |
16 |
4 |
38 |
||
|
Total |
4 |
3150 |
787.5 |
1063326 |
||
|
Elliptical
|
12 |
360 |
30 |
3528.909 |
||
|
GEO |
12 |
670 |
55.83333 |
10316.88 |
||
|
MEO |
12 |
608 |
50.66667 |
10006.97 |
||
|
LEO |
12 |
4662 |
388.5 |
583503 |
||
|
(UCS, 2021) |
||||||
|
ANOVA |
Inferential Data |
|||||
|
Source of Variation |
SS |
df |
MS |
F |
P-value |
F crit |
|
Rows |
2785222 |
11 |
253202 |
2.144848 |
0.04469 |
2.093254 |
|
Columns |
1063326 |
3 |
354441.9 |
3.002441 |
0.04437 |
2.891564 |
|
Error |
3895691 |
33 |
118051.3 |
|||
|
Total |
7744239 |
47 |
|
|
|
|
|
(UCS, 2021) |
||||||
FordhamStats.
(2010, May 7). Excel Techniques - 11 - ANOVA - Two Factor without
Replication [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STqxo4ToN18
Khisty, C. J.,
Mohammadi, J., & Amedkudzi, A. A. (2012). Systems
engineering with economics, probability, and statistics (2nd ed.).
J. Ross Publishing.
Association, 5(10). https://doi.org/10.1161/jaha.116.004142
Union of Concerned
Scientists (UCS). (2021, January 1). UCS Satellite Database.
UCSUSA.org. https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/satellite-database

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home